Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
Roshan Kashmir
  • Home
  • State
    • Jammu
    • Kashmir
    • Ladakh
  • National
  • International
  • Education
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • State
    • Jammu
    • Kashmir
    • Ladakh
  • National
  • International
  • Education
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Roshan Kashmir
No Result
View All Result
Home Jammu, Kashmir & Ladakh Jammu

Hajj 2025: Applications in J&K hit historic low, drop by 48% in year

Out of 4,100 applicants, only 3,622 confirmed for holy pilgrimage

News Desk by News Desk
February 3, 2025
in Jammu, Kashmir
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Intending Hajj pilgrims-2022 yet to receive Cover Number asked to approach J&K-HC office, Srinagar
Share:

Srinagar, Feb 03: Witnessing a rapid decline from 35,000 in 2017 to as low as over 4100 applications this year, the number of Haj pilgrims continues to be dwindling in Jammu and Kashmir.

The numbers, as per the officials, have further dwindled when over 700 pilgrims who applied for the pilgrimage opted to remain ‘out’ of Hajj 2025.

READ ALSO

250+ Patients screened at free Eye camp in Aloosa, Bandipora; 32 patients referred for further treatment

Shriya Gupta, Vishal Thappar Create J&K Fencing History: Sports Council Extends Heartfelt Congratulations

As per the official details exclusively available with the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), a total of 4,100 people from Jammu and Kashmir applied for Haj 2025, out of which 3,601 were confirmed in the first list, with 21 more added under the Mahram quota, taking the total number of pilgrims proceeding for Haj to 3,622.

Dr Shujaat Ahmad Qureshi, Executive Officer, J&K Haj Committee, confirmed to KNO that all 3,622 selected pilgrims have completed the payment of both the first and second instalments.

The top official said that as per the quota allocation, India has received a total of 1,75,025 slots for Haj 2025, out of which 70% (1,22,550) is assigned to the Haj Committee of India (HCOI).

He said that Jammu and Kashmir has been allocated 4.89% of India’s quota, along with an additional 2,000 slots, bringing the total to approximately 7,981.

As per the details available, additionally, 14 private Haj Group Operators (HGOs) in Jammu and Kashmir have been allotted a total quota of 750 for this year.

The Haj pilgrimage journey from Jammu and Kashmir is expected to take place from the last week of April.

Notably, following a repeated low response due to rising costs for pilgrimage for Hajj applications this year in Jammu and Kashmir, authorities were left with no option but to extend dates for the Hajj 2025 applications.

Despite multiple extensions for submitting Hajj 2025 forms, Jammu and Kashmir’s Hajj Committee has just remained with 41,00 applications, a decrease of more than 48% from the previous year.

According to the official data, 2024 received 8,147 Hajj application forms against the allocated quota of 8,200.

However, as per the officials, 2023 has also recorded the highest-ever pilgrimage with over 12,000 pilgrims embarking on the holy journey from Jammu and Kashmir.

Official data reveals that 35,215 people planned to embark on the pilgrimage in 2017, followed by 32,330 applications from various districts in Jammu and Kashmir in 2018.

Hajj authorities received 21,566 applications for the pilgrimages in 2019, with 2020 witnessing no applications owing to the Covid-19 pandemic lockdown.

Despite the pandemic, the data reveals that more than 7,000 applications from various J&K districts were submitted in 2021 for the Hajj pilgrimage. However, the authorities subsequently cancelled the pilgrimage for a second year in a row due to the virus’s continued spread.

The comparative data for 2024 and 2025 reveals a sharp decline in all districts of Jammu and Kashmir in the number of pilgrims applying to take up the Hajj 2025 journey, with only district Doda witnessing a nominal increase of over 9 per cent.

According to the data, Srinagar district, which received 2,607 Hajj applications in 2024, has registered a decline of over 64 per cent for this year. It has received just over 930 applications for the Hajj 2025.

Similarly, district Budgam, which received 873 applications in 2024, this year received over 320 applications, recording a decline of over 62 per cent.

District Anantnag and Bandipora also recorded a decline of over 50 per cent in the number of people applying to undertake the Hajj, the holy pilgrimage. District Baramulla received over 345 applications against the 781 applications in 2024.

Any intending Hajj pilgrim embarking from Srinagar has to pay around 4.2 lakh rupees, while from Delhi, it is Rs 3.6 lakh only. The authorities are attributing the difference in amount to airfares.

Officials said the airfare from Srinagar embarkation is Rs 1.7 lakh, while from Delhi, it is Rs 1.1 lakh for pilgrims. However, they added that people are not bound to travel from any specific destination and are free to take up the Hajj journey from any embarkation of their choice.

People say economic realities are forcing many to deprioritise the pilgrimage in favour of essential and daily expenses.

Bashir Ahmad Bashir, a horticulture trade leader, attributes the decline in the Hajj applications to rising prices and economic strain in Jammu and Kashmir, saying the people in the region were struggling to make ends meet.

He urged the authorities to take measures which can reduce the costs involved in the holy pilgrimage, describing the pilgrimage as the most significant for the Muslims.

Many government employees said they were prioritising essential expenses such as healthcare and education over the pilgrimage due to financial constraints—(KNO)

Share:
News Desk

News Desk

Roshan Kashmir News Desk is the official editorial team of Roshan Kashmir, dedicated to publishing accurate, reliable, and timely news from Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh, India, and across the globe. We are committed to ethical journalism, factual reporting, and serving our readers with trusted news coverage.

RELATED POSTS

250+ Patients screened at free Eye camp in Aloosa, Bandipora; 32 patients referred for further treatment
Kashmir

250+ Patients screened at free Eye camp in Aloosa, Bandipora; 32 patients referred for further treatment

August 23, 2026
Shriya Gupta, Vishal Thappar Create J&K Fencing History: Sports Council Extends Heartfelt Congratulations
Kashmir

Shriya Gupta, Vishal Thappar Create J&K Fencing History: Sports Council Extends Heartfelt Congratulations

August 23, 2026
Vivek Bali Questions NC’s 200-Unit Free Power Promise Amid 6.83% Tariff Hike
Kashmir

Vivek Bali Questions NC’s 200-Unit Free Power Promise Amid 6.83% Tariff Hike

August 23, 2026
Jammu

Excessive force can’t be used against citizens: Armed Forces Tribunal in J-K custodial-death case

August 23, 2026
J&K installs 3.81 lakh smart meters since 2024, reaches 40 pc of project target
Kashmir

J&K power tariff hiked by 6.83%

August 22, 2026
Govt asks Nursing colleges in JK to charge uniform fee from students
Kashmir

Big 16% Surge in J&K College Admissions: Govt

August 22, 2026

RECENT POSTS

250+ Patients screened at free Eye camp in Aloosa, Bandipora; 32 patients referred for further treatment

250+ Patients screened at free Eye camp in Aloosa, Bandipora; 32 patients referred for further treatment

August 23, 2026
Shriya Gupta, Vishal Thappar Create J&K Fencing History: Sports Council Extends Heartfelt Congratulations

Shriya Gupta, Vishal Thappar Create J&K Fencing History: Sports Council Extends Heartfelt Congratulations

August 23, 2026
Vivek Bali Questions NC’s 200-Unit Free Power Promise Amid 6.83% Tariff Hike

Vivek Bali Questions NC’s 200-Unit Free Power Promise Amid 6.83% Tariff Hike

August 23, 2026

Excessive force can’t be used against citizens: Armed Forces Tribunal in J-K custodial-death case

August 23, 2026
J&K installs 3.81 lakh smart meters since 2024, reaches 40 pc of project target

J&K power tariff hiked by 6.83%

August 22, 2026
Govt asks Nursing colleges in JK to charge uniform fee from students

Big 16% Surge in J&K College Admissions: Govt

August 22, 2026

ABOUT ROSHAN KASHMIR

Roshan Kashmir is a trusted Urdu news platform committed to delivering accurate, timely, and responsible journalism to readers across Jammu & Kashmir and beyond. Through our print edition, digital news portal, and social media platforms, we strive to keep our audience informed about the issues that matter most—from local developments and governance to national affairs, education, business, sports, culture, and international news.

NEWS BY CATEGORY

  • Brief
  • Business
  • Editors Pick
  • Education
  • Health
  • International
  • Jammu
  • Jammu, Kashmir & Ladakh
  • Jobs
  • Kashmir
  • Ladakh
  • Lead
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Top Stories
  • Weather

MORE INFO

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

FOLLOW US

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram

© 2026 Roshan Kashmir - All Rights Reserved. Designed by Maroof Lone.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • State
    • Jammu
    • Kashmir
    • Ladakh
  • National
  • International
  • Education
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Opinion

© 2026 Roshan Kashmir - All Rights Reserved. Designed by Maroof Lone.